Thursday, November 3, 2011

Re-Cultured Graduation Gown!

 President-Vice-Chancler Patrick Deane & J'net Ay Ay Qwa Yak Sheelth Cavanagh, B.A., M.A.
...
As Alumni from
Vancouver Island University,
I was contacted
to attend
McMaster University
to represent VIU and welcome
the new President &Vice-Chancler Patrick Deane
in 2010
...

J'net Ay Ay Qwa Yak Sheelth Cavanagh, B.A., M.A
...

When asked to participate 
I was also told I needed 
to have a
Grad Gown or rent one.

I kept the Grad Gown from my 
MA in Leadership & Training
from Royal Roads University

Graduation 

and 
Re-Cultured the gown 
with black faux suede hands 
on the front
and 
back of the gown 
shown in the photo's here.

...

With my Cedar Bark hat
that Geraldine Edgar Tom helped me make
shined-up Nuu-chah-nulth pendant
and the eagle feather given to me 
by Vancouver Island University 
when I graduated
was a distinct look 
at an event with
University and College representatives
from all over Canada
More than one person asked if 
my regalia was what
all the Indigenous students
wore when they graduated from VIU
with a smile I answered...
"Not yet...but would be a lovely tradition!"

No comments:

Post a Comment